Yellow Mung Dal With Mixed Vegetables
- 1 1/2 cups mung dal, split
- 1 1/2 cups mixed vegetables, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 inch piece ginger root, grated
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed red chilies (optional for Pitta)
- handful cilantro leaves
- salt to taste
- Wash dal 3 times. Soak overnight in 5 cups water. Drain.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil. Add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and red chilies. When popping stops add ginger, turmeric and salt. Fry briefly. Add vegetables and dal. Cook till dry.
- Add enough water to cover mixture by one inch. Mix well. Cover and cook on low flame till dal is broken down. Mix in cilantro leaves. If too pasty, mix in more water.